Successful completion of this assignment requires that you provide a rationale, include examples, or reference content from the study in your response.
CRITICAL APPRAISAL GUIDELINES: QUANTITATIVE STUDY
• Develop a topic sentence in which you will define the purpose of the Research Critique, Part 2
• Formulate a thesis statement which briefly provides a broad indication of your point of view in composing this assignment.
• Include a summary outline to describe the organization and main topics you will include in the body paragraphs of the assignments (see below sections).
Protection of Human Participants
• Identify the benefits and risks of participation addressed by the authors. Were there benefits or risks the authors do not identify?
• Was informed consent obtained from the subjects or participants?
• Did it seem that the subjects participated voluntarily in the study?
• Was institutional review board approval obtained from the agency in which the study was conducted?
• Are the major variables (independent and dependent variables) identified and defined? What were these variables?
• How were data collected in this study?
• What rationale did the author provide for using this data collection method?
• Identify the time period for data collection of the study.
• Describe the sequence of data collection events for a participant.
Data Management and Analysis
• Describe the data management and analysis methods used in the study.
• Did the author discuss how the rigor of the process was assured? For example, does the author describe maintaining a paper trail of critical decisions that
were made during the analysis of the data? Was statistical software used to ensure accuracy of the analysis?
• What measures were used to minimize the effects of researcher bias (their experiences and perspectives)? For example, did two researchers independently analyze
the data and compare their analyses?
Findings / Interpretation of Findings: Implications for Practice and Future Research
• What is the researchers interpretation of findings?
• Are the findings valid or an accurate reflection of reality? Do you have confidence in the findings?
• What limitations of the study were identified by researchers?
• Was there a coherent logic to the presentation of findings?
• What implications do the findings have for nursing practice? For example, can the study findings be applied to general nursing practice, to a specific
population, to a specific area of nursing?
• What suggestions are made for further studies?