This writing assignment will focus on the age of imperialism, colonialism, and liberty at the turn of the 20th century and counts 40% of your course grade.
Write a 6-page comparative critical analysis of imperialism, colonialism, and liberty in South and Central America, Africa, and China.
Paterson & Rable, Imperial Surge
Chamberlain, The Scramble for Africa (chapters 1-9)
Hevia, English Lessons (chapters 1, 5, 6, 7, 8, Postscript)
You are not to answer these questions directly, they are provided only to stimulate your thinking on the assignment.
• What conditions at the turn of the century led to colonialism and imperialism?
• What countries led the imperial and colonial movement?
• What motivated the colonizers to colonize?
• What methods did colonizing countries use to impose their will? Did methods differ?
• What was the vehicle/mechanism for imperialism and colonialism?
• How did natives respond to being colonized?
• Was the liberty of those being colonized compromised?
• What was the aftermath of this movement for colonizing/imperial countries?
• What was the aftermath for those being colonized?
• Did the imperial/colonizing era lead to a new world order?
This is a comparative critical analysis of all areas under consideration, so make sure you address all areas, colonizers and colonized, and you use all three sources (and only those three sources). Use 12pt. font (a readable font), one-inch margins, and double-space your paper; citations should be done in the Chicago/Turabian format. Your paper should be a minimum of 6 full pages in length, but feel free to write more. Your paper MUST integrates all areas of the world and all issues, do not focus on just one area or one topic. I will grade your paper on: 1) writing and grammar; 2) organization and content; and 3) the logic and coherence of your analysis. The only sources you are using for this paper are the Paterson & Rable, Chamberlain, and Hevia books, use no other sources.
***This is to be an original paper, separate from the previous three you have written and submitted. Under no circumstances are you to simply copy and paste from your previous papers; doing that (to any degree) will guarantee a 0 grade for this paper.***
Submit a hard copy of your papers to me and an electronic copy to the Assignment dropbox in BlazeView no later than 12:00pm (noon) on April 20, 2018. I do not accept work late. Originality software will be used to check all papers.