EBP Searchable Clinical Questions
with Annotated Bibliography
Guidelines with Scoring Rubric
The purpose of this assignment is to: a) formulate a PICO (T)-formatted clinical question, b) identify key terms for conducting a review of the literature, c) search for relevant evidence in scholarly databases, and provide a summary of research articles to support an answer to the clinical question.
Through this assignment, the student will demonstrate the ability to:
(CO#3) Apply research principles to interpretation of the content of published research studies. (PO 9)
(CO#4) Analyze data from relevant sources, including technology, to inform the delivery of care. (PO 4)
(CO#5) Analyze the American Association of Colleges of Nursing (AACN) Essentials of Master’s Education in Nursing. (PO 1)
Due Date: Sunday 11:59 PM MT at the end of Week 5.
Total Points Possible: 200
- Select a health-related topic applicable to your practice setting and formulate a clinical question using the PICO (T) format.
- Identify key terms that you will use to search the literature, based on the PICO (T) elements.
- Search for information on your formulated clinical question in each of these three databases: PubMed, CINAHL (Cumulative Index to Nursing and Allied Health Literature), and The Joanna Briggs Institute database.
- Present the results of the searches in the tables provided in the “Evidence-Based Practice Searchable Clinical Questions Form” found in Course Resources. Place this completed form in the Dropbox.
- From the articles you found during your database searches, choose ten scholarly peer reviewed articles that would help provide an answer or provide insight to your clinical research question and write them in an annotated bibliography format. Submit this APA 6thed format paper into the Dropbox for a Turnitin Review.
- Submit the Searchable Clinical Questions Form and your annotated bibliography paper to the Dropbox by the due date. The annotated bibliography is the only part of this assignment that you need to have the Turnitin similarity report less than 25%.
Preparing the paper
- In Course Resources, you will find the ‘Week 5 Evidence-Based Practice Searchable Clinical Questions Form’. This is the form that you can use to document your search process and results. Below, you will find an example of how to complete the tables as you are doing each search
- The notes section is to be completed in detail as each step of the search process is performed.
- An optimal range of 10-15 scholarly articles is to be achieved for each database search. If this is not possible, a detailed explanation is to be included in the notes section. Donot stop too soon or you may miss some valuable article to help answer your clinical question. You want to be able to identify ten scholarly peer reviewed articles that would help answer or provide insight to your clinical research question so you can summarize them in an annotated bibliography written in APA 6th ed format. The annotated bibliography will be a separate Word document in APA 6th ed format.