M8D1: In 2012, Hurricane Sandy—also known as Superstorm Sandy—decimated the East Coast of the United States.
• Discuss the effective emergency management practices from that event, and discuss what could have been improved.
• Consider the technical aspects of the storm, such as what made it a Superstorm, how much damage it caused and why, and the overall costs (tangible and intangible costs).
• Discuss and compare the timeline of the disaster activities to the public and private organizations that contributed support, and identify the disaster life cycle from the timeline.
M8D2: What should you look for in a degree program in emergency management?
• How should you prepare for a job in emergency management?
• Find two current job postings related to emergency management, and discuss the key aspects of the job description and requirements.
• What are the most important components of the posting and how will you prepare for those requirements?