Policy Analysis Paper
Assignment 2 builds upon Assignment 1. Expand the brief and write an in-depth analysis of your bill/issue. In this assignment, select the ?point of view? you will represent in your written analysis (e.g. chronic illness in the elderly; reduce hospital readmission related to rural areas lack of providership; etc). Policy analysis and recommendations are particularly reliant on the perspective of the individual or an organization.
For this assignment you will build upon Assignment #1 brief and write an in depth analysis on yourslected bill:
1. Select a ?point of view? you want to represent in the written analysis (e.g. chronic illness in elderly; reduce hospital readmissions related to rural areas lack of providership; etc.)
2. Make a case for or against the policy change.
3. Select the organization you want to represent for this assignment (i.e. legislative staff, hospital Chief Nursing Office, president of a professional nursing organization, state board of nursing, or a government official, etc.)
4. Follow the topic outline bullets below. Use each bullet as a level heading for your paper.
5. Search the literature for four (4) evidence-based interventions on the bill or policy of interest. The literature can be individual studies or systematic reviews. A systematic review counts as one (1) intervention. If using a systematic review, report on the review, not on the studies identified in the review. All of the studies MUST be intervention studies. Review what constitutes an intervention study.
o Identify the databases (e.g., CINAHL, Medline) and key terms used in initiating the collective search for all of the studies (not each study)
o Describe bill or policy found in the literature as it relates to your state and other states where the bill/policy has been implemented.
6. The scholarly paper should not more than six pages excluding the title and reference pages.
7. Include level 1 and level 2 headings, an introductory paragraph, bullet topics below and a conclusion.
8. Write the paper in third person, not first person (meaning do not use ?we? or ?I?).
9. Four (4) references from professional peer-reviewed journals to support the paper. References should be from scholarly peer-reviewed journals (review in Ulrich Periodical Directory) and be less than five (5) years old.
10. APA 6th edition format is required (attention to spelling/grammar, a title page, a reference page, and in-text citations).
11. Submit the assignment to TurnitinDirect prior to the final submission to the assignment drop box. You have an opportunity to submit to the NSU Blackboard Turnitin at least twice for grammar and originality checks before the scheduled assignment due date. Note: It takes 24-hours to see the results for any subsequent submission after the first time.
12. Please be sure to review the originality report and make any needed changes.
13. Submit to the assignment drop box by the posted due date under the Assignment Dropbox.
Follow the bullet outlines (i.e. Use them as headings for the paper).
? Introduction (APA does not recommend using the heading ?introduction.? Use the title of the selected bill.
o Identify the organization that you represent.
o Clearly identify the issue or problem that was presented in the policy brief. Expand on its history.
? Provide any evidence-based guidelines published on the issue.
? Key Policy Events [regulatory and legislative]. Does any previous legislation or regulation precede this particular issue? Focus on those aspects of the legislation or regulation that relate to financial and or reimbursement effects. Lists are often helpful in this section of the paper.
? Financial Data. Provide financial data [either gathered from your facility or obtained in the literature], and apply the information to your issue ? as a means of supporting your selection.
? Key/Major Stakeholders. Identify and explain the implication of their views. Include the bill/issue sponsor(s).
? Social, Economic, Ethical, Legal, and Political Factors. Identify the factors that may impact the various stakeholders or the decisions related to the issue. You are providing a context of your issue in this section, giving key demographic, financial and/or statistical information or noticeable trends of current studies that impact your issue. This is a substantial part of the analysis. Each topic of this section should be addressed separately. Relate each section to the population of interest selected for the bill or policy assignment.
? Policy intervention Options. Which options are available/relevant to this issue? Include whether there are any current legislative/regulation activities or proposals under consideration and how they relate or differ from what you are proposing/advocating. Offer alternative solutions and make sound reasons that support the alternatives you offer.
? Proposed Recommendation. From the research and your analysis what is the recommendation you propose (e.g. your scholarly perspective supported by scholarly citations)? You are making the recommendation based on the sound points and information provided in the preceding sections of your paper.
? Nursing Implications
Identify the implications for nursing as it relates to patient safety and quality.
You may want to conduct a literature review to identify other states or areas where the issue has been addressed. Review their nursing implications for your state consideration.
Assignment 2: Scholarly Paper: (35 points)
Depth of Response 13 points 11 points 8 points 4 points
All topics addressed and all questions fully answered. All topics addressed and most questions fully answered. All topics addressed, and most questions partially answered. One or more topics not addressed or completely answered.
Quality/Accuracy of Information 12 points 8 points 4 points 2 points
Information clearly relates to the main topic. It includes several supporting details and/or examples. Information clearly relates to the main topic. It provides supporting details and/or examples. Information clearly relates to the main topic. A few details and/or examples are given. Information has little or nothing to do with the main topic.
Organization 5 points 3 points 1 point 0 points
Information is very organized with well-constructed paragraphs and subheadings. Information organized with well-constructed paragraphs. There is an attempt at organization but errors exist. The information or overall structure appears disorganized.
Sources 5 points 3 point 1 point 0 points
All references are from relevant peer-reviewed sources, within a 5-year timeframe or are classic sources. The majority of references from relevant peer-reviewed sources, within a 5-year timeframe or are classic sources. Some references are from non-peer-reviewed sources or are older than 5 years. Majority of references are from non-peer-reviewed sources or are older than 5 years or
Up to 10% deduction of the assignment grade for errors in APA style [title page, introduction, purpose statement, level heading, conclusion, references, citations, and format], spelling, and/or grammar.
Opioid Use Disorder Treatment Expansion and Modernization Act 2015
To: Senate Health, Education, Labor,
From: Representative Larry Bucshon
Re: OPIOID USE DISORDER
TREATMENT EXPANSION &
MODERNIZATION ACT 2015
Issue Summary: H.R. 4981 would amend the Controlled Substances ACT and authorize nurse practitioners and physicians assistants to apply to prescribe buprenorphine for treatment of opioid addiction. Currently, physicians are able to treat and refer patients for applicable counseling after being deemed qualified by the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS). The bill would also enhance the necessary training prescribers of buprenorphine must receive prior to treating patients within an office-based program.
? The United States is facing an epidemic of drug overdose related deaths. Since 2000, opioid related drug overdose deaths have had a 200 percent increase.
? Throughout 2014, more than 28,000 deaths involved some form of opioid.
? Buprenorphine, commonly known as Suboxone, is a narcotic used as part of recovery support to treat opioid abuse disorder.
? At present, in an office setting physicians can only treat 100 patients with buprenorphine. It is illegal for nurse practitioners and physician assistants to do so.
? Physicians must go through a qualifying process in order to begin treating patients in office settings.
? H.R. 4981 bill would permit nurse practitioners and physician assistants to treat up to 100 patients at a given time with buprenorphine after going through the qualifying process.
? This bill was introduced on April 18, 2016. On May 12, 2016 this bill was received in the Senate and referred to the Committee on Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions.
? Nurse Practitioners/ Physicians Assistants
1. Allow physicians to treat more than 100 patients with buprenorphine at one time.
Advantage: Availability for rehabilitation treatment would greatly increase.
Disadvantage: Treatment of these patients requires interdisciplinary teamwork. An increase in patient load may negatively affect the quality of care.
2. Eliminate or reduce physician qualifications processes
Advantage: Availability of physicians able to prescribe buprenorphine would increase and those that suffer with opioid addiction will be able to find treatment with less difficulty. Current physicians will not be as overwhelmed with patient loads.
Disadvantage: Training programs educate physicians on treating the patient to reduce the incidence of relapse by not only medically managing a patient?s treatment but working with a team to get physical and psychological help, as well.
The alternatives must be examined. Nurse practitioners and physicians assistants must be allowed to begin obtaining the appropriate qualifications necessary to treat those with opioid addiction with buprenorphine. In order to provide the best quality of care to the rising number of patients with an opioid addiction there needs to be an availability of treatment providers and facilities in which to obtain help.
BUCSHON, B. M. (n.d.). H.R.4981 – 114th Congress (2015-2016): Opioid Use Disorder Treatment Expansion and Modernization Act. Retrieved from https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-congress/house-bill/4981/text