Describe a competent level of nursing care as demonstrated by the critical thinking model
Video Assignment: ANA Standards Article and Commentary
· Review the ANA Standards document . Focus on the Standards of Professional Performance.
· Choose one of the 11 standards that captures your attention.
· Search for a relevant journal article which explains or discusses the importance of this standard to professional nursing.
· Consider the prompts below.
Topics and prompts to include in the video:
a. Announce the chosen Standard of Professional Performance using the number and name from the document in Brightspace.
b. Briefly define the Standard.
2. Journal Article
a. Provide the title, author, date of publication, and where you found the article.
b. Briefly summarize the article and explain how the article connects professional nursing to the chosen Standard.
a. What does this Standard add to your understanding of the nursing profession?
b. Why do you think the Standard is relevant to nursing today?
c. Provide a concrete example of how you can (and will) incorporate this Standard into your nursing practice.
· Speak clearly.
· A well-rehearsed video is the key to success!
· Keep you video under four minutes.
· Consult the grading rubric so you are aware of how the points are awarded.
American Nurses Association. (2015). Nursing: Scope and Standards of
Practice (3rd ed.). Silver Spring, MD: ANA.
Standards of Practice
· The Standards of Practice describe a competent level of nursing care as demonstrated by the critical thinking model known as the nursing process.
· The nursing process includes the components of assessment, diagnosis, outcomes identification, planning, implementation, and evaluation. Accordingly, the nursing process encompasses significant actions taken by registered nurses and forms the foundation of the nurse’s decision-making.
Standard 1: Assessment
Standard 2: Diagnosis
Standard 3: Outcomes Identification (goal setting)
Standard 4: Planning
Standard 5: Implementation
5A. Coordination of Care
5B. Health Teaching and Health Promotion
Standard 6: Evaluation
Standards of Professional Performance
· The Standards of Professional Performance describe a competent level of behavior in the professional role including activities related to ethics, culturally congruent practice, communication, collaboration, leadership, education, evidence-based practice and research, quality of practice, professional practice evaluation, resource utilization, and environmental health.
· All registered nurses are expected to engage in professional role activities, including leadership, appropriate to their education and position.
· Registered nurses are accountable for their professional actions to themselves, their healthcare consumers, their peers, and ultimately to society.
Standard 7: Ethics
Standard 8: Culturally Congruent Practice
Standard 9: Communication
Standard 10: Collaboration
Standard 11: Leadership
Standard 12: Education
Standard 13: Evidence-based Practice and Research
Standard 14: Quality of Practice