Statement of the Problem
• Is the problem stated unambiguously, and is it easy to identify?
• Does the problem statement build a cogent and persuasive argument for the new study?
• Does the problem have significance for nursing?
• Is there a good match between the research problem and the paradigm and methods used? Is a quantitative approach appropriate? Box 6.3, p. 111
Hypotheses or Research Questions • Are research questions and/or hypotheses explicitly stated? If not, is their absence justified?
• Are questions and hypotheses appropriately worded, with clear specification of key variables and the study population?
• Are the questions/hypotheses consistent with the literature review and the conceptual framework? Box 6.3, p. 111
Literature Review • Is the literature review up-to-date and based mainly on primary sources?
• Does the review provide a state-of-the-art synthesis of evidence on the research problem?
• Does the literature review provide a solid basis for the new study? Box 7.1, p. 127
Conceptual/Theoretical Framework • Are key concepts adequately defined conceptually?
• Is there a conceptual/theoretical framework, rationale, and/or map, and (if so) is it appropriate? If not, is the absence of one justified? Box 8.1, p. 143
Protection of Participants Rights
• Were appropriate procedures used to safeguard the rights of study participants? Was the study subject to external review by an institutional review
board/ethics review board?
• Was the study designed to minimize risks and maximize benefits to participants. Box 5.2, p. 93
Research Design • Was the most rigorous possible design used, given the purpose of the research?
• Were appropriate comparisons made to enhance interpretability of the finding?
• Was the number of data collection points appropriate?
• Were appropriate comparisons made to enhance interpretability of the findings?
• Did the design minimize biases and threats to the internal, construct, and external validity of the study (e.g., was blinding used, was attrition minimized?)
Box 9.1, p. 170