Systems Change Fact Sheet (20 points)
To complete your project, please address the following:
1. Describe a social determinant of health (SDOH) of interest including appropriate statistics (i.e. rates) supported by in-text citations. If you begin by identifying one of the main 5 SDOH described by Health People 2020 (Links to an external site.), start thinking about more specific ways through which it operates. Youll note that these are also SDOH. This will help you identify a proposed change for #5. For example, if you choose “Education”, you might focus on a dimension of access to educational opportunities like high school completion, school disciplinary procedures, funding structure for public education, college admission and retention, tuition costs, etc. You may also find data on these more specific SDOH either in online public health data sources or from the published literature.
2. What is a population/community affected by your identified SHOD? Please select a population/community represented in Seattle/King County or the Puget Sound area that experiences social disadvantage. This disadvantage may be based on SES (i.e. income or education), occupation, neighborhood residence, race/ethnicity, sexual orientation or identity, or other characteristic that defines a marginalized or vulnerable group. Example populations in Seattle might include: African Americans, Asian Americans, Latinos, those living at 100% federal poverty level, homeless adults, or those living with a disability. You may wish to further define your group as a community based on social ties via shared culture (e.g. Hmong, Coastal Salish Tribes, East Africans), occupation (e.g. immigrant workers) or neighborhood residence (Northgate, Central District, Columbia City, Rainier Valley, Federal Way, SeaTac).
3. What is an important health outcome experienced by this population/community that is likely associated with your identified SDOH? Please describe the distribution of the health outcome using appropriate statistics (i.e. rates) and measures of association with your selected SDOH. This should be supported by the literature and include in-text citations.
4. Briefly describe two specifichigher-level changes to a practice, program, or policy that would address the SDOH among the population/community you have identified. These recommendations should be evidenced by the literature, support later stages of the social justice framework (i.e. social justice amelioration or transformative action), and be specific to a clinical or community context within King County or the Puget Sound Region. Example changes at the practice- or institutional-level might include creating or modifying assessment tools, guidelines, procedures/protocols, forms, or health professional roles. Example changes at the policy-level might include modifications to the scope, structure, or delivery of government assistance programs or public policy.
Things to consider:
1. Who is your target audience? Who are you trying to convince to accept your recommendation?
2. Is your recommendation and description of the issues acceptable to your selected population/community? Are the tenets of cultural humility upheld in all aspects of your product?
3. Is this a professional product? Is the product accessible and attractive to read? Is this presentation reflective of the mission and values of the University of Washington?
Please note that if there is any issues with the above considerations, your presentation will need to be redone. We will provide feedback to your group at during the quarter (i.e. Systems Change Outline) to ensure you are on the right track. Please dont hesitate to contact the instructors if you have any questions.